“The Atmos book of pipeline simulation” was published this week. Written by experts and professionals at Atmos International (Atmos), the book provides a unique and in-depth insight into simulation technology, with specific examples using the Atmos Simulation (SIM) Suite pipeline software.
The book features insights into the behavior of gas and liquid pipelines and the associated equipment, also discussing how, as well as why and how we simulate them. It discusses how computers deal with challenging physical laws involving partial differential equations by solving them using special numerical methods and how pipeline simulation software deals with challenging real-world pipeline data pragmatically.
A few of the stand-out features of "The Atmos book of pipeline simulation” include:
- The value of Atmos SIM being versatile, modeling gas and liquid pipelines and simulating every type of scenarios: offline, online, look-aheads and as a tool for training and assessment
- The importance of a transient ground thermal model to calculate the inventory and estimated time of arrival (ETA) calculations when simulating many pipeline scenarios
- The thermodynamic principles and detailed calculations governing the performance of pumps, compressors and associated equipment, including their efficiency and energy consumption
- How the automated Atmos Tuning Assistant facilitates calibrating models manually, and how automatic learnt parameters act to keep a model well-calibrated while simulating in real-time
- How smart adaptive knot-spacing and time-stepping algorithms improve both the speed and the accuracy of a simulation
- Why the Maximum Likelihood State Estimator, using a statistical approach, is the most reliable method for reconciling potentially flawed meter data in real-time
- How advanced look-aheads, cloud computing and strategic optimizers empower pipeliners with insights they never had before, allowing them to perform intelligent pipeline operations
Dr Jun Zhang, founder and CEO at Atmos said “The Atmos book of pipeline simulation provides an excellent in-depth overview of pipeline hydraulics. It demonstrates how using these future-proof solutions like Atmos SIM can help understand complex pipeline operations, provide critical information for pipeline control and safety management, improve efficiencies and maximize profits”.